Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Student Housing in Nilai (Desa Palma)

This morning, a friend of mine passes me a flyer for StarZ Valley, a new development in Nilai. This flyer has triggered me to blog about student housing in Nilai; or more specifically in Inti Uni Colllege Nilai.

I get know about this development since mid last year. However, after checking out the price & build up (last year), I feel it’s more viable to buy an existing apartment called Desa Palma. In fact, I bought 3 units (from sub-sale) in Block E Desa Palma back in Oct 2008 @ RM85k each. Current asking price for units in Block E is hovering around RM140k to RM150k. I’m not sure what the recent transaction price is but estimated paper gain of RM65k just in 3 years is definitely not bad! Which work out to be 25% gain each year. I believe launch of StarZ Valley did influence the price hike in Desa Palma. Thanks to StarZ Valley developer.

Now, let compare Desa Palma (DP) and StarZ Valley (SV).

Desa Palma, DP:
RM150k @ 728 sq.ft = RM206 psf
Installment (30 years) = RM720

StarZ Valley, SV:
RM109k @ 296 sq.ft = RM372 psf
Installment (30 years) = RM530

Average rental for my DP units is RM750. By assuming 3 person stays in this 3 room’s apartment, each student is paying only RM250.

For SV’s studio unit, installment alone is already RM530. I got to know that a major airline is paying RM500 for accommodation allowance. That means we are limiting our market to selected rich students, steward/stewardess or airport staffs. Or course some people is arguing that there is a lot of rich students in private colleges like Inti. However, based on my experience; student is always a student and their spending power is not that high as what we thinking off.

With limited tenant market in Nilai for higher-end (or higher rental) apartment & supply of 1000++ units in SV, I suspect the rental in SV may not even able to cover your bank installment. Furthermore, I don’t think the units can be easily rent out within 1 year of completion due to many cheaper options in Nilai.

For those speculators that intend to buy SV, the target completion is Dec 2014. Do you sure what is the property market by then?

Anyone have different views are welcome to comment.



Location of StarZ Valley & Desa Palma. Both are walking distance from Inti International University. Due to close proximity, Desa Palma is the first option for students in Inti NOW.


StarZ Valley flyer that i get this morning




7 comments:

  1. Hi

    Do you think Mesahill is a good buy? It just next to manipal Intl university.

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Jenny, Really Really Sorry for my Super Late reply....
      Do you managed to buy some units in Mesahill? Let me know how it's now?
      To be frank, i use study this project and went to their showroom in Sunway. However, i didn't invest because still prefer "sub-sale" units in Desa Palma.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for liking my post...I have many personal information and views to share but getting time to write the posts is a little bit challenge to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post. hosting for students

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son is going to study at Inti soon, do you have any available room for rent?
    Please call me at 012-7762722.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well this is awesome and well shared by you. I really like your posts here. Thank you and keep sharing.
    Home For Sale In Fullerton!

    ReplyDelete