Thursday, May 3, 2012

Property Investment Stories (Part 1)


Story 1
One of my close friend’s father together with his partner bought a piece of land in Saujana Impian, Kajang about 30 years ago. For those familiar with Kajang, that place was formerly known as Sungai Kantan Estate. They paid about RM600,000 for the 20 acres land (RM30,000/acre). Today, the land is surrounded by shop offices, high end terraces and semi-Ds. It’s worth about RM1,000,000/acre today! This is increase of 35 times over a period of 30 years or 13% grow in value (every year consistently) for last 30 years. What other investment can give you such return consistently for so long? The lesson is; THE BEST INVESTMENT ON EARTH IS EARTH!

Story 2
During one of our visit to my relative’s house in Pahang, my relatives told us (me & my wife) that it’s time to get a “walker” for my daughter. She needs to learn how to walk very soon.  They recommend us to buy the “walker” from a Bicycle Shop nearby. After lunch that day, we drop by the Bicycle Shop to look for a “walker”. The shop run by a husband and wife team, I think their age is between 60 to 65 years old. The lady boss served my wife and I’m chit chatting with her husband. I later found out that they bought that shophouse about 35 years ago for only RM20,000 and most recent transaction was RM850,000. He subsequently shared that they also bought another 2 shophouses in the same row; one for RM250,000 and another for RM450,000. The RM450,000 unit is adjoining to their Bicycle Shop. I believe it’s just matter of time before big corporation or bank will pay high premium to acquire the 2 adjoining units. This is not an example of impressive property portfolio but the lesson learnt here is how hardworking, prudent lifestyle and saving can ensure everyone a good retirement.

Do you have any story to share with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment